Thursday, February 28, 2013

Treatment 1-in the beginning

Went back to the Start Center today for my first round of treatments. Can't say I slept well last night. Very nervous not sure what to expect. The treatment room is set up very nice to try to make everybody as comfortable as possible. My chemo nurse (S) walked me through everything. She has a very bubbly personality and seems to know all of her patients by name. She helps put me at ease; and seems very confident and knowledgeable and comforting. She sits and has to push the first drug manually through my port as it has to be monitored closely for side-effects. It's a good thing she warned me that it would turn my urine bright red, immediately. That would've been a little shocking had I not expected it. 

The anti-nausea drug was first then the two chemo drugs, then heparin to flush the port. Good thing they know what they're doing. Mom and dad want to go look at furniture while this was going on as it took several hours. Amazingly nothing was purchased. I worked on my dissertation. Or at least tried to. They got back just before I was done. My chest/shoulder where the port is still a bit sore and feels a little off. Of course that is the shoulder that I had orthopedic surgery on several years ago anyway so it's not quite normal. Hard to tell if it's an old war wound, fatigue, new damage or if my brain is just playing tricks on me. The doctor and the nurse think that it looks good and it's working well and they should know better than I do. We'll just keep moving on.

I forget to take my anti-nausea drug that night and boy do I regret it. That throws me for a loop. Don't feel too bad the next day though, i manage  to go to work. But saltines, ginger ale, and chicken noodle soup are my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment