Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Warm Fuzzies

Received my quilt today. It is amazing especially given the turn-around time. When I was told to build a support group I didn't ralize how every act of support is important, it matters. While I don't want anyone to feel obligated to do or say anything I must admit every act of kindess helps. There may be distance between us, but the love is no less because of it.

I have also decided to tell my department at work. I know me, I will not be wearing a wig in the middle of summer in Texas. Many also know something is up just because of the time I've been missing. It is also important that people understand I cannot be around them if they are sick. It seems to be insulting to keep people in the dark, but how much to share? I decide to go all in. I ask my department head to call a meeting and supportive as always she does. I let everyone know that I have been diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and I'm not sure what that is going to mean. Side-effects of chemo to be determined. I ask for their support and understanding, and to respect that I'm still not ready to go all out on the announcement. I'm sure people in the office will figure it out sooner or later, but right now I just don't have the energy to deal, plus I'm just not sure what to say. I guess we'll just figure it out. My new mantra: one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment