Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Think I've Been Here Before

Had a second visit with Dr R the oncology surgeon today. Things are moving fast now, which is good. Patients may be a virtue, but I want a plan and I want it implemented: now. Everyone seems to agree to getting chemo done before surgery will be the way to go. Still not sure about mastectomy or lumpectomy, that decision still to come. Less than a 3 to 5% chance of needing radiation if I do a mastectomy. There's also a lot of follow-up to do if I go with lumpectomy including semi annual mammograms and MRIs. I don't know, so many decisions still to make. Final decision on radiation post-surgery will be made from pathology report after they remove and analyze lymph nodes (how many they remove again is still to be determined). Sigh

The decision is made to put in a chemotherapy port which is placed 100% under the skin on the side away from the tumor. This allows all lab work and chemo to go directly to and from the blood system without having to get my arm poked every couple of weeks. This is inserted directly into the veins in the operating room as an outpatient situation. As with everything there are risks such as blood clots and lung damage. Still it seems like the easier path so we schedule surgery for Friday.
 
Oh and happy birthday to my brother! Lots of things going on with the family. I have an Aunt looking at surgery herself and unknown chemo or radiation. My sister-in-law's mother is very sick with cancer and it looks like we will loose her. Hated making the call to them with everything else going on. She lost her sister to cancer several years ago; it just seems like the hits keep coming. As scary as what I'm facing now I must remember that this is beatable and manageable. So surgery on Friday and then schedule chemo. We  just keep moving forward one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment