Monday, March 4, 2013

Look good feel Better

Went to my first face-to-face support group today. The American Cancer Society hosted a support group meeting Look Good Feel Better. This included free make up, wig care and other support information. It lasted almost two hours and it was helpful to hear from other survivors. As I really haven't seen many physical side effects yet such as the dry mouth, hair loss, loss of eyebrows etc. it is interesting to hear from others further along the way and how they coped. There is a lot of good information on what to do what not to do and who to ask. 

The facilitator was also a survivor and shared some of her story and triumphs and hardships. I got a free bag of make up out of  it, some of which I hope may use. Again I rarely use make up before and I'm not sure that I'll feel the energy to try to fake it. However you never know, that just might be what I need. Some of the cover-up and the moisturizers I'm sure I will use. It was hard seeing some of the other people there and seeing what they were going through. At the same time it's good to know that there are people out there to help and support you. And while no two stories are the same, each story of survival is a wonder to behold, each step of courage to be celebrated, and each of these women is a survivor to be celebrated. There is no wrong way to cope, except giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment