Monday, March 4, 2013

Science Isn't Always the Answer

After Look Good Feel Better I see my genetic counselor K. She already told me the BRCA1 & BRCA2 were negative. In a way that's a good thing is I've got a lower chance of recurrence; however, part of me wanted to know there is a reason I have breast cancer this young (or let's be honest, simply why I have it at all). There is still some grey area in the heredity issue so we decide to check with Blue Cross Blue Shield to see if they will pay for the extended genetics panel. This will not really impact anything for the current situation however, it may give me more information moving forward. Information is power, I feel better having more information. I had rather know especially since I still feel that there should be some genetic reason why. There has to be some reason why. Shouldn't there? I had briefly played with the idea of looking for my adoption records but decided this is the better way to go anyway as there's no guarantee any of this would show up in records almost 40 years old.

NOTE: Genetic counselor called a couple days later and Blue Cross Blue Shield will cover the extended panel for $75 co-pay. This so seems worth it to me. I will go back on Monday to give more spit.

No comments:

Post a Comment