Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Post Op Day One-Hello Girls

Somewhat of a restless night, had to be checked every hour so really didn't get much sleep but still feel somewhat rested.  Must be that eight hours of anesthesia. Nurses have a little dopler they use to check for blood flow in the new breasts. They feel somewhat numb and poofy all at the same time. It's hard to explain, I know they're there, I can slightly feel when people touch them, but they don't feel like they are a part of me. Not yet anyway. I have little monitors on each breast that check the oxygen level and they actually glow, so I'm my own little night light. Also have a post-surgical bra and girdle and my movements are very restricted. I feel very helpless and briefly wonder if reconstruction was such a good idea.

Surgery went well, no complications; however, they did find some cancer in the lymph nodes. Dr R ended up taking out all the lymph nodes on my left side. There was also still a lump in my breast. Dr. R came by last night and said they will have the pathology of those probably Wednesday or Thursday and then will decide how to proceed. So hoping it's nothing, but will deal with it, whatever it is. Surprisingly I have a large private room with a view so at least there is no arguing with anyone as to what to watch on TV. I have had three nurses so far R, D and J. All very good and personable. 

This morning I got the breakfast of champions Jell-O and chicken broth. Pain is manageable with the morphine but the worst of it is actually my left shoulder (due to lymph node extraction I would guess). I think I'll get a lot if reading done while I'm here. Silly me I actually brought a copy of my dissertation to edit, but am extremely doubtful that will make it out of the backpack. Mom & Dad will be by some time after 10 but won't stay more than a couple of hours as Mika is the priority. I certainly know my place in the pecking order, and yes, it is behind the dog. I am hopeful that tomorrow I will be able to get up and get out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment