Monday, September 9, 2013

Now I know how a Muppet feels!

Today joy oh joy I had my colonoscopy and my endoscopy. Of course the good times started yesterday when on top of not being able to eat (thanks for bringing pizza with you Mom and Dad) I got to drink some Suprep and get caught up on my reading while hanging out on the porcelain throne. The bathroom will never be the same again, even with the burning candles. Then at 2am I had the privileged to get up and take my second dose followed by 32 ounces of water.  Not a very restful night. Luckily there were Mythbuster reruns on to keep me company while I forced the fluids.

My appointment was at 7am, showed up with my entourage bright eyed and bushy tailed at 6:30. The nice receptionist pointed out the bathroom for me without my even needing to ask. This was probably the shortest waiting time I have ever had though. I think the procedure may have even started before 7am. We were done before 8 even with the two procedures. Of course I was out for most of it. There was that moment of "there goes the last of the dignity" when you are told to turn onto your left side so your hospital gown can clearly show off your posterior to everyone in the room. Shortly after that I got a mouth guard, supposedly to protect my teeth and the scope, but really I think it's so they don't hear the whimpering. The anesthesiologist did his work though and the next thing I remember is waking up.

After woozily getting dressed I was joined by Mom and Dad to get the results. Dr A sat and went over everything. The colonoscopy was clear in the end. No polyps or anything, but will be getting colonoscopies yearly for a while just in case. I just can't wait for the next one. The endoscopy however, was abnormal. Sigh. The pressure I was feeling was due to an ulcer and there is sign of esophageal damage due to acid reflux.  Some of this may be due to the chemo, we will have follow-ups to see. There was also a nodule found and removed. This will be biopsied and I will get the results on Wednesday. Here's hoping for better results than the last pathology report I received. Now for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment