Thursday, September 5, 2013

In The Mean Time Let's Go To Another Doctor

Months ago I had extended genetic testing done after being diagnosed with breast cancer due to lack of known family history. The test results showed a mutation associated with gastrointestinal polyposis. The exact nature of this increased risk of colon cancer is unknown but after discussion with my genetics counselor and oncology surgeon we decided it would be best to check for polyps sooner rather than later. Since I'm looking at extensive medical bills this year I wanted to get the testing done this year in hopes of hitting my out of pocket maximum. Besides, surgery still hasn't been set yet so might as well do this to pass the time. 

My gastroenterologist Dr A was very personable and has previously worked in conjunction with my oncology surgeon. His staff was also really friendly and concerned about my current fight. He was in agreement with getting checked out due to what was shown in the genetic tests. The decision was to do an endoscopy and a colonoscopy, oh joy oh joy. I've had some discomfort under the lower part of my rib cage, but have assumed that was due to all the weight I have gained. I guess we'll see if it's due to something else. 

After checking the schedule it was decided we would get the procedure done Monday. I mean hey, why wait. That gives me just enough time to do the prep. Dr A agreed that the prep is worse than the procedure and gave me some hints on how to get the Suprep down. Oh I can't wait. 

Got news today that the surgery will be September 23rd. I was actually hoping for earlier, but what can you do. On the bright side that means I may actually get to enjoy my birthday. Well at least I won't have to spend my birthday in the hospital. This year it's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment