Thursday, January 2, 2014

It's OK if WHAT happens?

Had another pre-op visit with H at PRMA today. This time is for revision and nipple creation (how odd does that sound?). Surgery should be only 3-4 hours long and the recovery only a week to ten days. I'm taking a week and a half off from work. Hopefully if I remember not to push myself there will be no repeat with the shingles. My back still has nerve pain from that little episode. I was just starting to get back into a routine with work and dissertation. I have even been working out a little at the gym at work. Only half an hour, but still it was a start. I have got some work done on the dissertation as well. Really hoping to get that done by the end of the month.

So, back to the pre-op visit. Don't have to give up coffee this time as there will be no reattaching of blood vessels, so that is  good, for me and everyone around me. Also can stay on allergy meds, which being cedar tree pollen overload time is a good thing. Will have to go get labs done next week to ensure blood counts are in an acceptable range and heart isn't going to poop out on me during anesthesia. Will need to get some nursing pads and cut holes in them to help protect the nipples. The little things will needed padded protection for several weeks. Speaking of nipples, the quote of the day is "it's OK if a nipple falls off and rolls down the hall, we can make you a new one." Huh what? Um no, so not OK. Intellectually I understand what she is saying, it is not medical emergency, it happens, but mentally and emotionally it is so not OK. I don't want to have to go and have this procedure redone, let alone pick one of my nipples up from off the floor. Of all the things to have to worry  about, that was never on my radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment