Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Reconstruction Part 2

And so it begins again. One more visit to the hospital to be knocked unconscious and have men rearrange my body. On one hand it is really amazing what they can do, on the other hand is there no such thing as modesty anymore? Abandon all hope ye who enter here. This is just one more step in the process, and one more step closer to being done. Surgery didn't start until 1:00 so there was no having to show up at crack of dawn, of course that was more time to go without food or drink. There is always a trade-off I guess. Had a different anesthesiologist this time, another retired Air Force doc. He mentioned I was still anemic and that there was an extra long beat showing on my EKG. However, he didn't feel that it was significant, and could even be from the positioning of the wires. The body is slowly bouncing back.

My plastic surgeon got out the sharpie and marked everything he was going to work on, but overall he was happy with the shape from the first surgery. I guess that is good, should mean less work to do during this surgery. And less work means easier recovery, right? Right? I hope so. The body and spirit is getting a little tired of all of this. Was a little nauseous coming out of anesthesia this time. Nurse gave me some drug and that helped a lot, but throat was so raw I had a hard time even eating saltines. Ah saltines, the food of champions. No hospital stay this time, we got to bundle me up and head home just about the middle of rush hour. Guess I should have taken a little longer recuperating, but I really wanted out of there.
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'" - Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment