Friday, August 16, 2013

Follow-up Number Two

Had a MUGA (Multi Gated Acquisition Scan) and a PET scan today. Fist time for both of these. The MUGA was to check my heart, to see if there was any damage done by the chemo drugs. Don't know if there is damage but boy do I get tired just walking up a flight of stairs. I seriously feel damaged. I can't believe how little things make me winded. It'll be a while before Mika and I get back to a couple miles a day let along working out. The body is so stiff that the most basic of Yoga moves is difficult, but I can still touch my toes. At least I'll have plenty of padding to use if I go with the tummy-tuck and reconstruction.

Mom and I spent most of the afternoon at the START Center between the MUGA and PET. The MUGA was first, and the nurse was awesome, being a survivor herself. There really is a feeling of sisterhood between total strangers. We are survivors and while no two journeys are the same there is a now a tie that binds you together. The MUGA is definitely different than an EKG. You lie on your back and basically have a scanner just inches away from your chest and then lie there for about 15 minutes while it takes an image of your heart. It then rotates slightly and takes another image of your heart. Unlike the EKG you can't watch while it works. I had started to doze off when the PA system paged someone, surprised my reaction did not ruin the test.

Went back to the waiting room after the MUGA to wait for the PET. They make up the radio-active tracer specifically for you so you can't go early. The technician pushes the tracer in a vein and then you have to sit in a room for 45-60 minutes and wait for it to work its way through your system. Like so many I have met along this journey the technician was personable and professional, talking me through the whole procedure. Some day someone is going to have to explain to me just how this PET thing works. There are two separate domes and you move in and out of them several times. For some reason the set up reminded me of something you would see out of Star Wars, some hut on Tatooine. The worst part was that there was a gap between the two domes and you ended up staring directly into the ceiling light as you passed from one to the other. Ack! Have yet to figure out why I can nod off during these tests but not sleep at night.

Was exhausted by the time we got home. Didn't help that I had to be fasting for the tests. Not even coffee. Mom walked Mika that night as I was totally useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment